Are you planning to be an egg donor next year? If you apply now, you will be ready to donate in the first part of 2019.
The egg donation process takes a number of weeks from application to actual donation, so the sooner you start the process, the sooner you can give the life-changing hope of family to someone who cannot conceive.
Applying to be an egg donor
Egg donation starts with our no-obligation online application form, which is a series of simple questions that allow us to quickly assess your eligibility, including:
- Your date of birth
- Your height and weight
- Family history – things like whether you are adopted or have any genetic conditions in your family
- Whether you smoke
Once we have received your online application, our Donation Team will review your form and be in touch to advise if you can proceed to the next step.
Considerations before you apply
There are a few things you might want to think about if you are deciding when to apply:
- You will need to quit smoking first: If you currently smoke, you need to quit and be smoke-free for a minimum of three months before you can apply. You will be screened for nicotine during the process. If you think you may find it hard to quit over the festive season, it is best to consider egg donation when you feel able to successfully stop smoking.
- Your age: You will need to be between the age of 18 and 35 to become an egg donor.
- Your weight: Your BMI affects whether you can donate eggs. If it is too high or too low, your egg quality may be affected which means your eggs are less likely to result in pregnancy for someone. BMI is also important for your own health, to ensure a safe response to fertility medications. All egg donors must be within the BMI range of 18-29. So if you want to donate eggs, you may need to increase or reduce your weight first. You can check what your BMI is here.
- Tattoos: Thinking of getting a tattoo for Christmas? You will not be able to apply to donate eggs for six months after the tattoo, because of the risk of infection.
Questions? Talk to us about egg donation