If you want to be an egg donor, you’ll need to know how long it can take.
Although the actual egg donation process takes only a few weeks once you’ve been matched with a patient, it’s important to factor in the time it takes to complete all the necessary pre-donation screening, tests and counselling, which happen over a few months.
At Manchester Donors we do everything we can to make egg donation as convenient as possible for our donors, streamlining the process where possible to minimise clinic visits and impact on your daily routines.
Here’s what typically happens after you apply online with us, so you know what to expect:
- Fill in your application form online
- We’ll review the form and get back to you within a couple of days
- We then arrange an informal appointment for you, so we can discuss the process in more detail
- If you’re happy to proceed we’ll book you in to see one of our fertility consultants, to go through your medical history and have screening tests including an ultrasound scan. Screening results take around four weeks to come through
- You’ll have an appointment with our counsellors, to talk through all the implications of egg donation. This is so we can ensure you fully understand your legal rights, the rights of your recipient and any child they have, before you give consent
- If your screening results are fine, you’ll fill in consent forms and become an official, HFEA-registered egg donor. We can now match you with a patient
- You complete your personal egg donor profile, to help patients choose you as their egg donor
- Once you’ve been matched with a patient, we begin the egg donation process which involves ovarian stimulation, monitoring and egg collection
If you’re trying to decide if you can commit to being an egg donor, remember that the reason it takes time is because there are strict and rigorous procedures in place – which are necessary to ensure safe and responsible egg donation for you, and the greatest chance of pregnancy success for the patient you’re helping.
Egg donation isn’t a quick process. But it’s one of the most rewarding things you can ever do. Apply online to be an egg donor with our award-winning egg donation programme, and start your journey to changing someone’s life, or have a chat to our Donation Team on 0161 300 2734.