Donation of any kind is a wonderful altruistic act – but egg donation in particular has a very special impact.
The hope of a baby is the ultimate gift from one woman to another. By donating eggs, you will enable someone to have a family of their own, their only chance of a baby for many different reasons.
Some women cannot get pregnant because medical treatment such as chemotherapy has left them infertile. Others because of age, or because their ovaries have stopped working too early, due to Premature Menopause or Premature Ovarian Failure.
IVF using donor eggs overcomes all these fertility problems. And you could be the egg donor someone is looking for.
Reasons to be an egg donor
Egg donors do get time and expenses compensation of £750 per cycle, or subsidised treatment if they need IVF too through egg sharing. But this is not the main motivating factor for egg donation.
Here are just a few of the reasons why many women choose to donate to us:
- The feel-good factor: Our egg donors say nothing is more rewarding than knowing they have helped someone to have a baby. It gives them an immense sense of pride.
- Empathy: Lots of women donate to us because they have friends or family who have suffered from fertility problems, and they would like to help people in similar situations.
- Children: Many of our egg donors have children of their own and would like to give this joy to someone else.
Can you donate eggs?
To be an egg donor, there is certain criteria you need to meet, including:
- Be aged 18-35
- Have a BMI range between 19-29
- Be a non-smoker – or have quit at least three months ago
- Know – or be able to find out – your family medical history as far back as grandparents
- Be willing to be identifiable to the children you help to be born
You can explore the criteria in full here.
How to apply
If you’d like to join the hundreds of UK women who donate to Manchester Donors, complete our online application form.
Our Donation Team will review your application and get in touch to advise next steps. Our Donation Team is a dedicated group of clinic staff who look after the needs of egg donors and women who need donor eggs.
By completing the form you are under no obligation to donate. We will have a chat to you about egg donation and what is involved.
If you proceed, you will also receive counselling as part of the process, before donation happens. This is so you, and us, can be absolutely sure it is the right decision for you.